Azumangaと!



We all know that I'm a big Azumanga fan. It's been 10 years since its first manga came out (already?!), and this year is a good year for Azumanga fans!



First off, the 2nd volume of the new panels in Shounen Jump Sunday is finally out, and it comes with this wonderful poster! Ah, my bedroom wall is almost complete. Now where's that Aria poster?



Next is a rather strange decision by Kiyohiko Azuma. He actually redrew the entire first volume of Azumanga Daioh with almost no changes to the story. His reason being that he wants to match the manga closer to the art direction of his current work, Yotsubato. Hence, fans fondly call this new version Azumangato!

I LOVE the cover. Minimalistic, simple... ah who am I kidding, it's Osaka! Seriously though, I like the simplicity, feels like a modern 4-koma manga... with Osaka!



Take out the cover and you see her ^_^ face. Makes for good paper animation.



And behind is the beloved father of Chiyo-chan. Yooooooooo *raises rubber-like arms*

Courtesy of yesterday's post in Sankaku Complex, I compiled and put the comparisons between the two in a simple arrangement below.



Osaka looks a little too pretty 10 years ago lol. Still prefer her to have that blank wide-eyed stare. And 2009's Sakaki, mmm mmm :}

Contrary to popular opinion online, I really love the new art direction, even moreso than the old. A little biased coz I prefer stuff that are minimalistic. Not only that, I think such approach suits well with slice-of-life 4-koma comedy. Especially the type with not-so-ordinary humour.

Regardless, old or new, I still love Azumanga Daioh to bits :3

But which do you prefer? The old or the new? Place your answer in the poll on the right!

2 comments:

Eve said...

I agree-gree :D I like the new one mucho better.

Unknown said...

I don't read manga, but based on the comparisons I'm leaning towards the original style.