Day Fif+Sixteen - Tokyo and Malaysia (NOOO!)

Drat, I'm back in Malaysia. Two weeks in Japan is really too short.

Sorry that I haven't been updating it, since I'm already into crazy work and all. Nevertheless, I still find time to update trip's last two days. Hope my memory is fresh enough to talk about it in detail.

Let's start with Day 15, which was last Saturday (22/4/2006).

We wanted to go to Tokyo University (known as Toudai in Japanese), the number one best university in Japan. Dzaid and I came here on the second last day we were in Tokyo, which is exactly what happened with this trip!



This is the side entrance of the University. It's a little backdoor. When I came here at first, I thought we took a big risk 2 years ago by simply going into the Toudai through here (what with the dodgy entrance and all), but Dzaid and I found out that visitors are welcomed.



The buildings in Toudai look similar to the ones in my mom's previous uni (UKM). Of course, the scenery and weather here is completely different.



We took a nice walk through the campus before reaching the main entrance. Quite few students though. Maybe because that day was a Saturday.



Ah finally some students. The campus area is very big, so riding a bicycle seems to be a good choice. But it's ok la, I just roll through.



Almost reaching the main entrance. You could tell because you could see a bunch of students walking through that doorway at the end. Ah, the intellectual atmosphere.



Earlier before this pic was taken, the students had some training with the fire extinguisher. Somemore got one guy shoot some water towards another student. So THAT's what they do here in Toudai.



Now I'm in the doorway. One more doorway to go through before reaching the main entrance.



And finally we reached the famous clock tower on the main street of Toudai. And this seemed like the place for my daily pose! Love Hina fans should be very familiar with this scene.



I really love the presence of the clock tower. It's like a symbol saying "You made it!". And there's quite a nice small park in front of the tower. How relaxing. Two groups having a picnic, then two boys playing ball. Darn, I wish I brought some onigiri from 7-Eleven to eat here.



And what is the clock tower without the A-Star students to appreciate its presence, right?



Quite a coincidence that a motorbike was parked at the back of the entrance, so a nice camera shot is in order.



If I were to study here instead of APIIT, I would be in this faculty...



...which is located right here!



It's spring, but there are dried leaves lying around. Cool.



And dried leaves look good on the ground, right?

We got hungry, and Mama belanja-ed me yet again! This time, she wanted to thank me for being the "best tour guide in the world".... uh... works for me! :D



So we came into this restaurant and bar. Most of the people are seated at the proper tables, since it's lunch time anyway.



It's like I'm in some medieval tavern, minus the vending machine where we ordered our food.



And this was my lunch! Omuraisu, or Omlette Rice. It's something like Nasi Pattaya, but the egg is softer and more... uh... melty-like. Truly delicious! Thanx, Mama!



My mom had some fish instead, a little on the western side (as usual). She said it was a little too salty, but overall it's quite tasty.

Next, we wanted to go to this temple, which is currently at the center of media attention. More on that later.

The only way to go there is obviously through the trains.



Osaka! Haha, only Azumanga Daioh fans would know this stupid joke.



The train station near the temple was actually quite canggih.



Just check out the way they distribute the flourescent lights. Felt like I was in the brain, looking at the neuron circuits.



This is the park outside the temple. Feels like Kyoto all over again (oh man, I miss Kyoto...)



And here we are! This is the super controversial Yasukuni Temple. This place honours 14 Japanese war criminals. The prime minister of Japan, Junichiro Koizumi frequently visits this temple, so countries like Korea and China protested that this temple is an indication that Japan still does not admit their horrid military past.

Well, like my mom said, one country's criminal is another country's hero. So we just leave it at that (I really dislike politics anyway).



Whenever there's a temple, there must be the O-torii! This one is not orange though.



The japan flag waving proudly in front of the temple.



Yup, security here is a little tad tighter than at the other temples. Must watch out for those pesky protestors who are willing to burn the temple down at any chance they get.

I didn't do much shopping, so my mom gave me some time alone to do it in Akihabara from 4pm (again, thanx Mama!) while she stayed in the hotel till night time (Sorry Mama). Actually dragged her along with me for shopping once (remember Shibuya's Mandarake?), she got bored... fast. So I dowanna make her go through that again.



Akihabara on a Saturday. Seriously super crowded!



Almost every street in Akihabara was like this! I really shopped on the wrong day, but it's not like as if I had a choice. I was here only for 5 days, after all.

I shopped like mad. Really mad. Imagine, only 5 hours till all shops are closed.

At around 8pm, I realised that I bought too much stuff. Had to buy a bag to contain 'em all!



So here's the bag. This is the first time I own a bag which has both a roller and the shoulder straps. Benri desu ne (Very convenient).



And my goods filled the bag to the rim!

And then, the dreaded day came, Day 16. I didn't sleep at all, coz I dowan the night to end! But the world goes around, and life goes on. I had to leave.

The flight back to Malaysia was at 10:30 am, so we had to wake up early (or rather, my mom had to wake up early). We left the hotel at around 6 am.



No one's awake yet. Bye bye everyone. Have fun in Japan. (wu... wu... wuaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!)



Tokyo at 6 am. Already very bright.



Bye bye Japanese railroad. Bye bye Japanese sky. Bye bye Japanese birds.

ok ok enough of being sentimental. Since there won't be many pictures taken on Day 16, I took the opportunity to teach you all how to buy a train ticket.



Easy onlyyyy. Just look at the map, then at the destination station, you could see the price of your ticket. Just press the value of the ticket like so...



...then put in your coins or the yen notes...



...then out comes the ticket and the change. Simple right?



The Japanese are very concerned about handicapped people. At the crossing, a song or tune will play if the light becomes green, so that blind people will know when they could cross (and the direction too). Also, there's braille writing on most of the elevators. Here, a textured trail helps a blind person to go to the train platform.



Then once the blind man feels the circles beneath the foot or using the walking stick, then it's time to stop. This trail will lead the blind person to the priority seats (seats for special people).

We had to change trains at Ueno station, where we could take a direct train to Narita airport.



One bag for my clothes, and one bag for my toys. What a drag (literally!).



My mom smiling at the camera, saying "haha I have to drag only one bag!".



I dunno why, but the Narita airport was really congested. This is just the line to the check-in counter, we were not even near it yet!



Some more, this is the line for only MAS flights!



And just look at the crowd going into the Departure Gate! Then I just found out that the security was very tight. People had to even take out their jackets and coats, and put it in the x-ray belt thingy.



It was like only yesterday that I took this kind of shot, but instead going towards the Narita Airport. That was 2 weeks ago. *sigh* Time travels so fast.



I wanted to get a taste of Japan just one more time! This was my brunch, Tempura Soba. It was average though. -_-"



On one of the TVs, there was the professor from Astro Boy teaching people to use condoms. Wow, kid shows nowadays.



I'm sure some of you Malaysian readers are laughing at the company name on the truck. To those who don't understand, don't ask. :D



And that's my flight. My first hint that Malaysia was near.



Bye bye Japan. See you again two years later... hopefully.



I didn't sleep the previous night, so I paid the Sleep God a visit from miles above ground.



And this is the last daily pose. I'm facing the camera this time coz I'm going back towards Malaysia. Cool concept eh? :D

And that ended my Japan trip! It was really fun, and I really saw the cultural and historical aspects of Japan this time. And not to mention the aesthetics part too! The cherry blossoms, as well as the cherry bosoms *wink* *wink*

Thanks for reading my travels in Japan. Appreciated all your comments, really made me realise that blogging about my travels LIVE from Japan was really worth it! Hope you continue coming into the blog to witness my journey towards my two ultimate missions in life: to be a great game designer, and to obtain Japan PR status!

ok I've been blogging too long already. It's time to continue work.

No comments: